Skip to main content

But we are just trying to help you now ?!?

But we are just trying to help you now ?!? Now I guess the meaning of service agreement differs from person to person or even in countries. So my very nice colonel driver that took me to Ibadan couldn’t take me back to Lagos as he got a job to pick someone up from Lagos international airport.

So I was left at the mercy of some random driver from the Iwo road motor park or my brothers trusted drop driver of many years. You maybe asking what a drop is, these are relevant terms in the home country, this term is used to describe hiring/chattering an otherwise shared transport vehicle for oneself.

So at 8.30 in the morning, we called Saheed to find out where he was. Something not so unusual for this time of the year had happened; he was stuck in the famous Lagos Ibadan expressway traffic. Traffic could take anywhere from 30 minutes to 8 hours, it’s not something you can predict but thankfully the Lagos state government is finally working on the road although only one side of it is done its still progress.

Since Saheed wasn’t far from Lagos we asked him to turn back and I would grab a drop from Ibadan to Lagos. I was left at the mercy of the drivers at Iwo road motor park. Barely pulling into the park, we had 10 different people trying to get our attention and sell their vehicles and services as the best.

So I say to them I am going to Ikeja how much? Answer : international or local, I am a bit confused cos I didnt know Ikeja had two sides to it. No it doesn't but they had already come to the conclusion that I was headed to the airport.  I replied maryland. At which one of them says 10,000 Naria hmm so since 3 days the price of drop has gone up by 4000 Naria?!? Well the clue here is, if you arent in shoprite or any of the malls in nigeria you have to bargain , nobody ever tells you the real going rate so depending on your patience and endurance you may get to the actual going rate. 

So I ignore the ambitious drivers, one still insists he wants to bring his car round to show me. No dont worry I can walk to where your car is and look at it but he wouldn't listen. He strongheadedly brings it around, i don't like it so I said no thanks and then I get the response Aunty I was only trying to help you now, I even cut my finger now you wont go with me. Amist all the conversations happening around, drivers arguing about who saw me first. 

I saw I car I liked and there was a lady in the back, looked in and she said we could split the costs I am going to Ikoyi, so that later there isn't any confusion I asked the driver again if he is sure he will be able to take me to Maryland and what the price would be ? 3000 Naria , the lady seemed pleasant so why not.

Just like an hour into the journey, the driver starts to say o there's so much traffic going into Maryland, So I am wondering what exactly he is expecting of me. I ignore the comments. But he continues, well actually if he was going to Ikoyi directly he would just go via third mainland bridge. Whilst I sympathise with him,I am wondering what exactly he wants from me again. Well lets say I was pretending to wonder cos I knew exactly what he was getting at.

So Mister Driver wants to pull a fast one. Drop me off at motorways collect his money and not get into the traffic without completing the service he agreed to do.  Because the lady i shared the ride with had been nice and had an appointment in Ikoyi, I said to Mr Driver I can offer you a deal you can drop me at motorways but then you have to pay a cab to get me home.

Hey Aunty but I was only trying to help?!? at this point I am wondering help who? Just to make a point I didn't pay him his full bill but I didn't have the heart to cut the money into half as my taxi fair was  1500. I ended giving him 2500 since he was under the impression he was trying to help me ....

The concept of service agreement certainly differs from country to country and  person to person ... whilst the Colonel understood the concept of entering an agreement and delivering and getting a tip alongside his full payment. Mr I am only trying to help you figured he was doing me a favor by delivering partly on the service contract we have.... what can I say same same but different

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Budget accommodation in Nigeria?

Hostels in Nigeria? Personally, when I travel, I look for trendy hostels, I could stay in. You see Hostels are great for Solo travelers, it’s a perfect place and way to meet other travelers that are like-minded to explore with. They are also more affordable than hotels. At first, I stayed in Dormitories and after a few years I started staying in single rooms in Hostels. In the years I have been coming back to Nigeria I never heard of hostels, so I choose to look for budget hotels.  I budgeted maximum 20 euros per night. My Budget - I choose a 20 euros budget because in Mexico and Brazil I was able to find good hostels with dormitory beds for 9 to 15 euro a night or a single room for 20 to 35 euros a night.  The cheapest I dared to stay in Obudu and Kachia cost 5500 a night - the service level differ greatly. When you book a double room, most find it hard to give you two towels but some property owners understand that it's about HOSPITALITY To identify hotels, I used th

Traveling to Nigeria

If you have made it past all the negative press and terrifying stories you hear about Nigeria and still decide to come over then perhaps there are a few things I can share with you about traveling through Nigeria based on my own experience. Nigeria is not one of the usual tourist destinations in Africa. There are obviously other countries in Africa with more developed tourist industries and longer service history in the sector Safaris which most people associate with the whole of Africa are not available in Nigeria the closest you will come to that is a visit to one of our national parks and forest reserve like Yankari Game Reserve. If you are looking for a place where everything is predefined, where you find all necessary and updated information online including packaged tours – then you are also shopping in a market where this is still under development What then can you expect from a trip to Nigeria? Ibadan,Benin,Enugu,Idanre,Kano,Akwa Ibom The beauty of Niger

Museums in Nigeria

Let’s talk about Museums in Nigeria. Museums in Nigeria are managed by the National Commission of Museums and Monuments. Personally, I like visiting museum when I am in a new place because it gives me insight into the people, their history, their culture and to some degree insight into their current affairs. The NCMM (National Commission of Museums and Monuments) manages over 50 outlets across Nigeria according to their website ( http://ncmm.gov.ng/about-us/ ) . You can find all the museums listed on the website unfortunately not all of them can be found via google maps.  Alongside the national museums the NCMM also cares for 65 recognized monuments and two UNESCO world heritage sites – Osun Osogbo Grove and Sukur Landscape Adamawa On my trip through Nigeria I visited about 14 institutions, some of them are privately owned. M y review of each museum is linked to the listings.  Museums listed in order of personal preference   Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library