Skip to main content

Museums in Nigeria


Let’s talk about Museums in Nigeria. Museums in Nigeria are managed by the National Commission of Museums and Monuments. Personally, I like visiting museum when I am in a new place because it gives me insight into the people, their history, their culture and to some degree insight into their current affairs.

The NCMM (National Commission of Museums and Monuments) manages over 50 outlets across Nigeria according to their website (http://ncmm.gov.ng/about-us/) . You can find all the museums listed on the website unfortunately not all of them can be found via google maps. Alongside the national museums the NCMM also cares for 65 recognized monuments and two UNESCO world heritage sites – Osun Osogbo Grove and Sukur Landscape Adamawa



On my trip through Nigeria I visited about 14 institutions, some of them are privately owned. My review of each museum is linked to the listings. Museums listed in order of personal preference

Two things I noticed visiting these institutions is that a lot of them do not allow visitors take pictures, but they would benefit from the publicity as must people aren’t even aware that these museums exist and are fully functional. 

The second is that quite a number of them do not have the infrastructure that would allow people tour the museum on their own and in their own pace, which makes it sometimes difficult to process all the information from the tour guide. 

It’s a very affordable form of entertainment for children from a certain age and adults. The most expensive being the Presidential library at 3000 per person and the cheapest the Jos museum at 50 per person.

The next time you are in or around the following cities : Aba, Abakaliki, Abeokuta, Akure, Asaba, Bauchi, Benin, Birnin Kudu, Calabar, Damaturu, Enugu, Esie, Hong, Ibadan, Oko, Igbo-Ukwu, Ile-Ife, Ilorin, Jos, Kanta, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Koko, Lafia, Lagos, Lokoja, Maiduguri, Makurdi, Minna, Nok, Ogbomosho, Oron, Osogbo, Owerri, Owo, Oyo, Port-Harcourt, Sokoto, Sukur, Umuahia, Uyo, Yenagoa and Yola, take some time out to visit the museum there.

Yours Truly Liesel81


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 culturally or spiritually significant sites you can visit across Nigeria.

As the days of my trip progressed, I realized that many of the natural sites that had survived or were being preserved had strong spiritual or cultural ties. Whether I believed the stories behind them or not was irrelevant. What mattered was that, thanks to those beliefs, these incredible places were being protected and were still accessible to visitors. Here are my favorite sites from the ones I visited. Awhum Waterfall  is attached to a monastery, and the water is believed to be sacred. So much so that women are traditionally not allowed to visit the falls while wearing trousers. The waterfall is about an hour to an hour and a half's drive from Enugu City, depending on where you depart from. The entire hike covers 6.77 km and took us 2 hours and 27 minutes to complete, including photo stops and breaks. It is absolutely beautiful. The trail begins on an open stretch before gradually descending until you reach the stream that flows from the waterfall. At this poi...

Traveling to Nigeria

If you have made it past all the negative press and terrifying stories you hear about Nigeria and still decide to come over then perhaps there are a few things I can share with you about traveling through Nigeria based on my own experience. Nigeria is not one of the usual tourist destinations in Africa. There are obviously other countries in Africa with more developed tourist industries and longer service history in the sector Safaris which most people associate with the whole of Africa are not available in Nigeria the closest you will come to that is a visit to one of our national parks and forest reserve like Yankari Game Reserve. If you are looking for a place where everything is predefined, where you find all necessary and updated information online including packaged tours – then you are also shopping in a market where this is still under development What then can you expect from a trip to Nigeria? Ibadan,Benin,Enugu,Idanre,Kano,Akwa Ibom The beauty of Niger...

is this seat free?

So, after you think you have seen it all, I checked in and thought I was running late. Couldn't find somewhere to seat at the D34 KLM departure lounge. I walked towards a free-standing space next to a wall to lean on it. When I suddenly heard two ladies, or should I just say two female adults talking rather loudly. whilst I was still trying to get my head around what the conversation was about, I just saw lady number two reach over and slap lady number one hard across the face "yelling am I your mate?!?" A typical Nigerian expression you hear during fights. Omg it turns out that lady number one was trying to save the seat next to her for an elderly woman who got up to go buy water. An important fact to note about this, is that none of these women are related to the elderly woman. So lady number two ignores lady number ones initial comments which must have made her say something rude which resulted in an early morning cat fight entertainment. In a normal worl...