Skip to main content

Welcome to a place of firsts – Oyo Nigeria

What can you expect of Oyo? Oyo is in the south west geopolitical region in Nigeria. It has a population of over 5 million people predominately of the Yoruba tribe. The landmass is over 28,000 square kilometers. The landscape is made up of lots of hard formed rocks and semi shaped dome hills.

Taking a drive through the old parts of Ibadan allows you see firsthand how hilly the city is and how houses are built around rocks.
 I think the first thing that comes to mind for me when I think of Oyo is the University of Ibadan. Maybe it’s because two of my siblings studied in UI as it is fondly called. Or perhaps because it is one of the oldest and most prestigious institution of education in Nigeria.
University of Ibadan was founded in 1948 as a college of the university of London. It became an autonomous institution in 1962. When I learnt I would visit this institution during one of its convocation ceremonies, my excitement doubled because it meant I would also experience a lot of traditional music.  

I have called Oyo a place of firsts because alongside the University of Ibadan, it is also home to one of the first TV stations in Africa NTA Ibadan, one of the first Skyscraper Cocoa house and the oldest stadium in Nigeria formerly known as Liberty Stadium now known as Obafemi Awolowo Stadium. The first African Bishop a formal Slave boy Samuel Ajayi Crowther who translated the bible to Yoruba Language is from Oyo.

A visit to Oyo affords you interactions with the Yoruba tradition (markets, festivals, music, food), history of education in Nigeria and beautiful landscapes starting from forests, rivers, rock formations and elevations.

During my 3 days in Oyo I was able to visit the following places
Ibadan
    Mapo Hall
    Bowers Tower
    National Museum of Unity 
    Zoological Garden UI (Zoo)
   Agodi park/Gardens

   Iseyin
    Ado Awaye suspended lake
   ✓ Asoke Weavers

Oyo
   Alaafin's Palace Oyo

Other recommended places that we didn’t make it to in Oyo are - Igbetti hills, IITA forest, Old Oyo National Park. Some prominent festivals in Oyo include Beere festival the ceremonial cutting and bringing home of thatch grass from fields,. The festival is held in February.  Sango, Oke Ibadan, Egungun, Igunnuko, Gelede, Yemoja and New yam festival are also festivals to look out for.

Do enjoy your visit of Oyo – yours truly Liesel81




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Budget accommodation in Nigeria?

Hostels in Nigeria? Personally, when I travel, I look for trendy hostels, I could stay in. You see Hostels are great for Solo travelers, it’s a perfect place and way to meet other travelers that are like-minded to explore with. They are also more affordable than hotels. At first, I stayed in Dormitories and after a few years I started staying in single rooms in Hostels. In the years I have been coming back to Nigeria I never heard of hostels, so I choose to look for budget hotels.  I budgeted maximum 20 euros per night. My Budget - I choose a 20 euros budget because in Mexico and Brazil I was able to find good hostels with dormitory beds for 9 to 15 euro a night or a single room for 20 to 35 euros a night.  The cheapest I dared to stay in Obudu and Kachia cost 5500 a night - the service level differ greatly. When you book a double room, most find it hard to give you two towels but some property owners understand that it's about HOSPITALITY To identify hotels, I used th

Traveling to Nigeria

If you have made it past all the negative press and terrifying stories you hear about Nigeria and still decide to come over then perhaps there are a few things I can share with you about traveling through Nigeria based on my own experience. Nigeria is not one of the usual tourist destinations in Africa. There are obviously other countries in Africa with more developed tourist industries and longer service history in the sector Safaris which most people associate with the whole of Africa are not available in Nigeria the closest you will come to that is a visit to one of our national parks and forest reserve like Yankari Game Reserve. If you are looking for a place where everything is predefined, where you find all necessary and updated information online including packaged tours – then you are also shopping in a market where this is still under development What then can you expect from a trip to Nigeria? Ibadan,Benin,Enugu,Idanre,Kano,Akwa Ibom The beauty of Niger

Museums in Nigeria

Let’s talk about Museums in Nigeria. Museums in Nigeria are managed by the National Commission of Museums and Monuments. Personally, I like visiting museum when I am in a new place because it gives me insight into the people, their history, their culture and to some degree insight into their current affairs. The NCMM (National Commission of Museums and Monuments) manages over 50 outlets across Nigeria according to their website ( http://ncmm.gov.ng/about-us/ ) . You can find all the museums listed on the website unfortunately not all of them can be found via google maps.  Alongside the national museums the NCMM also cares for 65 recognized monuments and two UNESCO world heritage sites – Osun Osogbo Grove and Sukur Landscape Adamawa On my trip through Nigeria I visited about 14 institutions, some of them are privately owned. M y review of each museum is linked to the listings.  Museums listed in order of personal preference   Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library