Skip to main content

Welcome to Eko - Gateway of my dreams


I know most of you may have heard of Lagos. The Mega city. A city where people come to in search of their dreams, of opportunities and or their destiny. I like many Nigerians, I am no different. In 2001 I came Lagos, I came to Eko with the hope of realizing my dream.

Umm but why Eko? You see I am Igbo and like may tribes in Nigeria or dare I say Africa, the fate and future of a woman is dependent on her male counterpart. With this I mean first her father, then brothers, uncles, her husband or any other male counter part for that matter. Well let’s just say I wanted to be able to decide for myself. I wanted to be in a place where accepting decisions and guidance wasn’t about gender but competence. A place where my voice and my opinion would count.

From the tales I had heard Eko sounded like such a place. A gateway to opportunities, a melting pot of desires, of creativity, of sheer will and tenacity – I wanted in. Of course I would later learn that in reality, the story does not always have a happy ending for all parties involved. Nonetheless its the energy, the drive, the emotions you feel in the streets of Lagos that makes it such a special place for me. How would I convince my very traditional and yet modern father that, I as a young lady wanted to wander off alone to a place where most parents considered back then to be Babylon – a place of many freedom and sins.
Well thankfully my dad believed in the power of knowledge. He wanted every child of his to get an education . I studied Fine and Applied arts in IMT Enugu. After my OND (Ordinary National Diploma) I had to do a one-year placement in an area I wanted to specialize in. That was my opportunity – Eko seemed the only rational option. There I would be opportune to work with the newest technologies, the most exciting ad agencies at least in my opinion. I had to sell this idea to my dad. I asked my dad if I could go to Lagos for the one-year placement. He said only if someone offered you an employment and you lived in the house in Lagos where your brother, your Uncle and Aunty can keep an eye on you. At least it wasn’t a no.

 And in all honesty when I arrived Lagos for the first time, I understood my father’s concerns. I saw how easy it was for youths to stray from their initial path and goals. For one to be dazzled by the seemingly easy path to success Eko could open for you. The big city Life with all its flare.

I wrote 50 ad agencies and my dad mailed them for me. You see back in the days you didn’t do applications by emails but luckily enough I typed them using my Dad’s computer and not a typewriter 😊. After weeks of waiting I had gotten 3 replies from 50. Two rejections and one invitation for an interview. I was excited, I would be going to the gateway of my dreams. My dad said so long as you have the Job you can stay but as soon as you are out of employment, you must take the first bus and come back to Enugu.
Of course, customary to those times I took the night Luxurious bus from Enugu to Lagos. And so, it began my quest and thirst for the road. My head was buzzing, the Eko girls from my secondary school Federal Government Girls College Onitsha had painted vivid pictures of Eko for me. I starred in my sleep, my eyes opened on time enough for me to see the three chiefs, to the read the words “welcome to Lagos” before our bus continued to the garage closest to Festac area where I would be staying with my relatives. This was it, Swim or Sink – hello Eko ours is a story yet to be told.
Did I swim? Find in out my next piece. One thing I can say for sure is, Eko did not care if I was a woman or Eko only wanted to know if I had what it took to deliver what I said I could deliver. Eko wanted to know if I was willing to learn, willing to grow and willing accord respect to those who came before me.

Yours truly Liesel81


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 culturally or spiritually significant sites you can visit across Nigeria.

As the days of my trip progressed, I realized that many of the natural sites that had survived or were being preserved had strong spiritual or cultural ties. Whether I believed the stories behind them or not was irrelevant. What mattered was that, thanks to those beliefs, these incredible places were being protected and were still accessible to visitors. Here are my favorite sites from the ones I visited. Awhum Waterfall  is attached to a monastery, and the water is believed to be sacred. So much so that women are traditionally not allowed to visit the falls while wearing trousers. The waterfall is about an hour to an hour and a half's drive from Enugu City, depending on where you depart from. The entire hike covers 6.77 km and took us 2 hours and 27 minutes to complete, including photo stops and breaks. It is absolutely beautiful. The trail begins on an open stretch before gradually descending until you reach the stream that flows from the waterfall. At this poi...

is this seat free?

So, after you think you have seen it all, I checked in and thought I was running late. Couldn't find somewhere to seat at the D34 KLM departure lounge. I walked towards a free-standing space next to a wall to lean on it. When I suddenly heard two ladies, or should I just say two female adults talking rather loudly. whilst I was still trying to get my head around what the conversation was about, I just saw lady number two reach over and slap lady number one hard across the face "yelling am I your mate?!?" A typical Nigerian expression you hear during fights. Omg it turns out that lady number one was trying to save the seat next to her for an elderly woman who got up to go buy water. An important fact to note about this, is that none of these women are related to the elderly woman. So lady number two ignores lady number ones initial comments which must have made her say something rude which resulted in an early morning cat fight entertainment. In a normal worl...

Traveling to Nigeria

If you have made it past all the negative press and terrifying stories you hear about Nigeria and still decide to come over then perhaps there are a few things I can share with you about traveling through Nigeria based on my own experience. Nigeria is not one of the usual tourist destinations in Africa. There are obviously other countries in Africa with more developed tourist industries and longer service history in the sector Safaris which most people associate with the whole of Africa are not available in Nigeria the closest you will come to that is a visit to one of our national parks and forest reserve like Yankari Game Reserve. If you are looking for a place where everything is predefined, where you find all necessary and updated information online including packaged tours – then you are also shopping in a market where this is still under development What then can you expect from a trip to Nigeria? Ibadan,Benin,Enugu,Idanre,Kano,Akwa Ibom The beauty of Niger...