Skip to main content

Serious Monkey Business at Lekki Conservation Centre

I went back for the Easter holidays, for the first time I decided I wanted to be tourist in Nigeria. I wanted to find out what it is like to visit places that I would normally go to in other countries.

That’s how I met the Mona Monkeys in the Lekki Conservation Centre. Now these little fellas are not shy at all but if you want to get up close and personal with them its best to come early in the morning when the Centre opens. The Centre opens at 08.00 am to 04.30pm – last entry at 04.30 pm.  

Where is Lekki Conservation Centre? It is located along the Lekki Epe Expressway. Depending on if you are staying on the mainland or Island your journey could be anyway between 30 minutes to 3 hours taking into consideration weekdays, holidays and weekend traffic.






Apart from interacting with the Mona Monkeys you can get to see reptiles like monitor lizards, snakes and crocodiles. This area of land on the Lekki peninsula represents the natural ecosystem of the whole area as it used to be before people started turning the better part of Lekki into residential and financial districts. The Centre was opened in 1990 as conscious effort to reserve the swamplands and their inhabitants.

How did we get to the Centre? For my first visit on Easter Monday we came from Ikeja which is mainland. It took us an hour to get there. You can do this trip using public transport it will take longer. If I wasn’t going with family, I mostly used Taxify (Bolt) this trip would cost anywhere between 2.600 to 3.200 Naira 

Your visit of the Centre is a guided tour which starts every 30 minutes. Entry fee ranges from 1.000 to 3.000 Naira (with the Canopy walk) for an adult depending on if it’s a public holiday. Of course, we did the Canopy walk. A 2 KM raised wooden walkway takes you through the Centre along this trail. On the trail there are different stops, sitting areas and you get ample opportunity to observe in animals and insects.

On my first visit being a public holiday, it was very busy so interaction with the tour guides was limited but I still got to have a chat/interview with one of the tour guides. On my second visit we were a smaller group of 4 early in the morning so it was easier to interact with the tour guides and they proved quite knowledgeable.

First stop Canopy walk. Its 401m long and 22.5m at the highest point. I just loved the construction and its an interesting experience to compare what it felt like walking on the bridge with a larger group of 12 and a smaller group of 4. All I can say is keep calm and enjoy nature. I loved the view from Canopy walk. On last bridge we tried walking without holding onto the ropes. The idea was to learn how to walk across a log of wood if you were really stranded in a forest. Boy does that test your balance.
 
I hadn’t played Chess for donkey ages, so we did that in the family park. The family park area in the Centre is a picnic area with barbecue facilities, fishponds, picnic huts, local vendors selling fresh coconuts and large floor games like chess, checkers, snake and ladders – so it’s a good spot for everyone to chill at. 
 
I have always loved an amazing view, the tree house at 22m provides a good of view of the swap area and parts of the reserve. You can cover this on your way out. All and all it was a good experience. I couldn’t tell you which visit I liked better but there was a difference in the level of interaction I got on the busy public holiday evening as against an early morning visit. Both had their charm.
 
Day 2 definitely showed me some serious monkey business with the Mona monkeys 😊


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Budget accommodation in Nigeria?

Hostels in Nigeria? Personally, when I travel, I look for trendy hostels, I could stay in. You see Hostels are great for Solo travelers, it’s a perfect place and way to meet other travelers that are like-minded to explore with. They are also more affordable than hotels. At first, I stayed in Dormitories and after a few years I started staying in single rooms in Hostels. In the years I have been coming back to Nigeria I never heard of hostels, so I choose to look for budget hotels.  I budgeted maximum 20 euros per night. My Budget - I choose a 20 euros budget because in Mexico and Brazil I was able to find good hostels with dormitory beds for 9 to 15 euro a night or a single room for 20 to 35 euros a night.  The cheapest I dared to stay in Obudu and Kachia cost 5500 a night - the service level differ greatly. When you book a double room, most find it hard to give you two towels but some property owners understand that it's about HOSPITALITY To identify hotels, I used th

Traveling to Nigeria

If you have made it past all the negative press and terrifying stories you hear about Nigeria and still decide to come over then perhaps there are a few things I can share with you about traveling through Nigeria based on my own experience. Nigeria is not one of the usual tourist destinations in Africa. There are obviously other countries in Africa with more developed tourist industries and longer service history in the sector Safaris which most people associate with the whole of Africa are not available in Nigeria the closest you will come to that is a visit to one of our national parks and forest reserve like Yankari Game Reserve. If you are looking for a place where everything is predefined, where you find all necessary and updated information online including packaged tours – then you are also shopping in a market where this is still under development What then can you expect from a trip to Nigeria? Ibadan,Benin,Enugu,Idanre,Kano,Akwa Ibom The beauty of Niger

Museums in Nigeria

Let’s talk about Museums in Nigeria. Museums in Nigeria are managed by the National Commission of Museums and Monuments. Personally, I like visiting museum when I am in a new place because it gives me insight into the people, their history, their culture and to some degree insight into their current affairs. The NCMM (National Commission of Museums and Monuments) manages over 50 outlets across Nigeria according to their website ( http://ncmm.gov.ng/about-us/ ) . You can find all the museums listed on the website unfortunately not all of them can be found via google maps.  Alongside the national museums the NCMM also cares for 65 recognized monuments and two UNESCO world heritage sites – Osun Osogbo Grove and Sukur Landscape Adamawa On my trip through Nigeria I visited about 14 institutions, some of them are privately owned. M y review of each museum is linked to the listings.  Museums listed in order of personal preference   Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library