Skip to main content

Surfers in Nigeria - a trip to Tarkwa Bay Beach



Like Fela says “Water you no get enemy”.  Whenever my friends asked to go to a lake or on a beach holiday, I would roll my eyes thinking I can’t swim, and I don’t want to work on my tan cos I got one for free.

All my memories of going to the beach in Nigeria start like this, kids running around, sounds of laughter and music in the air, the smell of barbecue, the rushing sounds of the ocean, of waves breaking, people dipping their feet or standing in the water but nobody really swimming.
 
I couldn’t really swim until 2010 when I finally decided to go to a swim school in Munich. It’s not uncommon that’s a higher percentage of people born in Nigeria not living close to a natural body of water never learnt to swim. And there is of course the tales of the water Gods and Goddesses that prevent people from venturing into natural bodies of water.


So yes, I was shocked and surprised to learn that there were Nigerian children surfing at Tarkwa Bay Beach. For me it meant that they had gone beyond the tales of our past and reached out for something new, something different so I had to see this myself.

What’s the gist about Tarkwa Bay? It’s an artificial Island from the 1960’s that was created as the Lagos Harbor was being established. It’s a couple of kilometers away from Lagos island and is only accessible via boat. Tarkwa Bay is home to the only Surf School I know in Nigeria. I think it’s cool that this way people can learn other ways to interact with water. 


Traffic on the beaches in Lagos are at their busiest on the weekends starting from Friday evenings and on Public holidays. I had to choose a day that allowed me observe my surrounding with reduced human activity. To get there we took a jetty service from Merkwe Jetty close to Bonny Camp. The boat can take up to 10 people, we had to wait for other passengers before we could depart. I didn’t find a schedule, but I was told that the last transfer from Tarkwa bay back is at 6 pm.

We shared our boat ride with 3 surfers and a couple so it meant there would be some surf action going on. The transfer cost 2000 naira return per person, on arrival we had to pay a 200-naira entry fee person. I almost started dancing when I saw the tent like bamboo shade sitting area, I knew I was home cos we get it; you need shade in the scotching sun!  I can see this place being a party location but for the time of day we arrived it was perfect for chilling and doing nothing but listen to music and go for a swim. So, I chilled, watched the local surfers and I went for a swim. 

I somehow connected to the story of the kids learning how to surf. Picture this, you are in Mexico on the pacific coast watching dolphins and whales. The tour guide stops the boat and says you can go for a swim. I see my fellow travelers jump in the ocean and surface back up, the move looks beautiful and graceful, but I am paralyzed with fear. And I say to myself not today but make a promise to myself I will one day jump into Ocean and swim like a fish but it’s not today 😊


I have made progress I don’t jump into water from a boat I carefully step into it, when I swim in open waters, I try to keep mind that’s okay if my feet don’t touch the ground. Watching the locals at Tarkwa bay surf, seeing the kids so comfortable being water just reminded how times have changed and how change can sometimes be something positive.


Cheers to the Nigerian surfers at Tarkwa Bay


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Budget accommodation in Nigeria?

Hostels in Nigeria? Personally, when I travel, I look for trendy hostels, I could stay in. You see Hostels are great for Solo travelers, it’s a perfect place and way to meet other travelers that are like-minded to explore with. They are also more affordable than hotels. At first, I stayed in Dormitories and after a few years I started staying in single rooms in Hostels. In the years I have been coming back to Nigeria I never heard of hostels, so I choose to look for budget hotels.  I budgeted maximum 20 euros per night. My Budget - I choose a 20 euros budget because in Mexico and Brazil I was able to find good hostels with dormitory beds for 9 to 15 euro a night or a single room for 20 to 35 euros a night.  The cheapest I dared to stay in Obudu and Kachia cost 5500 a night - the service level differ greatly. When you book a double room, most find it hard to give you two towels but some property owners understand that it's about HOSPITALITY To identify hotels, I used th

Traveling to Nigeria

If you have made it past all the negative press and terrifying stories you hear about Nigeria and still decide to come over then perhaps there are a few things I can share with you about traveling through Nigeria based on my own experience. Nigeria is not one of the usual tourist destinations in Africa. There are obviously other countries in Africa with more developed tourist industries and longer service history in the sector Safaris which most people associate with the whole of Africa are not available in Nigeria the closest you will come to that is a visit to one of our national parks and forest reserve like Yankari Game Reserve. If you are looking for a place where everything is predefined, where you find all necessary and updated information online including packaged tours – then you are also shopping in a market where this is still under development What then can you expect from a trip to Nigeria? Ibadan,Benin,Enugu,Idanre,Kano,Akwa Ibom The beauty of Niger

Museums in Nigeria

Let’s talk about Museums in Nigeria. Museums in Nigeria are managed by the National Commission of Museums and Monuments. Personally, I like visiting museum when I am in a new place because it gives me insight into the people, their history, their culture and to some degree insight into their current affairs. The NCMM (National Commission of Museums and Monuments) manages over 50 outlets across Nigeria according to their website ( http://ncmm.gov.ng/about-us/ ) . You can find all the museums listed on the website unfortunately not all of them can be found via google maps.  Alongside the national museums the NCMM also cares for 65 recognized monuments and two UNESCO world heritage sites – Osun Osogbo Grove and Sukur Landscape Adamawa On my trip through Nigeria I visited about 14 institutions, some of them are privately owned. M y review of each museum is linked to the listings.  Museums listed in order of personal preference   Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library