Skip to main content

A Shopping Spree @ Ogbete Main Market




Since I couldn't say to my mum that I have this crazy idea to run around the market taking pictures of food stuff without an actual intent to buy anything, I came up with a plan for different dishes we could cook, in which getting food stuff for the dishes would take us all around the market . I was basically trying to relive one of the countless shopping trips that happened every Saturday since I can remember. And if you have relatives that somehow never manage to part from the motherland's kitchen, they always use you as private DHL for local food stuff. So, I had a ground crayfish and dried pepper order to deliver to my sister in the UK.

This what my list looked like pepper soup, Ofe ewa, Anyala with ose orji and the DHL order. And I had this burning desire to also have an Okpa di oku.

We entered the market via the old park and were greeted by the okirika traders. Okirika refers to second hand clothes shipped from abroad. I remember at sometimes I preferred these clothes because they were foreign, and they made me feel like the foreign characters in the movies I watched growing up. Or the wheelbarrow jewelry seller who I always eyed from the corner of my eyes whilst running after my mum's quick steps. So gradually the goods changed to household items busy narrow isles with traders yelling trying to grab the attention of various shoppers 'nwanyi oma come and buy from me now’ i cholu ose ? do you want pepper ? My own fine now, these remarks would accompany us over the next few hours. Repeated in different tones and for different products.

We went on to greet some friends or ex colleagues of my mother as she actually used to have a stall in the market a few years back. You could see the surprises on their face when they saw me. Hey o nwa gi nwanyi bu ife a? Is this your daughter? o nke no na Germany? the one in Germany? Hey otogo kwa. She has grown. hmm well only horizontally I guess because I have been this height the last 11 years, I believe but if you say so then I have grown. Anyways we locals we all know it is a mother’s pride to present her children to show what they have become. Sort of a living confirmation that their investments were not in vain. Especially being Igbos its a big thing to say o nwa mu bi na obodo oyibo or o nwa bu doktor forgive my igbo if its hasn't been right but it simply means it’s my child the one that lives abroad or my child the one that is a doctor

It took us approximately 4 hours to navigate through the market place and get all we wanted. I remember thinking now I know why almost 16 years ago my best friend’s mother wanted to know if i used deodorants. I understand why she asked back then.

The scotching sun and pool of people hustling running around the market place fully dressed up didn’t make for a pleasant experience for the sense of smell. It definitely helps you appreciate the aroma of different things as there is so much stuff in the air to take in, whilst in search of our beloved soup spices.

Having someone shop whilst you take pictures certainly distracts the marketers as you would otherwise have to explain to them why you are behaving like oyibo (white man) To get the UK Parcel done we needed to go to the end of the market where all the grinding is done. Don’t exactly know how my mom negotiated the prices as my ears were still ringing 10 mins after I left the area from the symphony of the grinding machines. I hope my clothes don’t start stinking of crayfish.

All done and ready to go we ended up with three bags, we decided to use the local shopping assistant. You had two options the wheelbarrow boys or the little boys that carried the bags on their heads. I believe the latter is a new development which I can’t remember from back then. We opted for option one, though I dare say ours was nothing compared to the Milo boys and yes sometimes they do tip over I witnessed one today. There is never really a dull moment in a Nigerian local market. It’s always full of excitement and plenty of sweat but we are happy it’s over now.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Budget accommodation in Nigeria?

Hostels in Nigeria? Personally, when I travel, I look for trendy hostels, I could stay in. You see Hostels are great for Solo travelers, it’s a perfect place and way to meet other travelers that are like-minded to explore with. They are also more affordable than hotels. At first, I stayed in Dormitories and after a few years I started staying in single rooms in Hostels. In the years I have been coming back to Nigeria I never heard of hostels, so I choose to look for budget hotels.  I budgeted maximum 20 euros per night. My Budget - I choose a 20 euros budget because in Mexico and Brazil I was able to find good hostels with dormitory beds for 9 to 15 euro a night or a single room for 20 to 35 euros a night.  The cheapest I dared to stay in Obudu and Kachia cost 5500 a night - the service level differ greatly. When you book a double room, most find it hard to give you two towels but some property owners understand that it's about HOSPITALITY To identify hotels, I used th

Traveling to Nigeria

If you have made it past all the negative press and terrifying stories you hear about Nigeria and still decide to come over then perhaps there are a few things I can share with you about traveling through Nigeria based on my own experience. Nigeria is not one of the usual tourist destinations in Africa. There are obviously other countries in Africa with more developed tourist industries and longer service history in the sector Safaris which most people associate with the whole of Africa are not available in Nigeria the closest you will come to that is a visit to one of our national parks and forest reserve like Yankari Game Reserve. If you are looking for a place where everything is predefined, where you find all necessary and updated information online including packaged tours – then you are also shopping in a market where this is still under development What then can you expect from a trip to Nigeria? Ibadan,Benin,Enugu,Idanre,Kano,Akwa Ibom The beauty of Niger

Museums in Nigeria

Let’s talk about Museums in Nigeria. Museums in Nigeria are managed by the National Commission of Museums and Monuments. Personally, I like visiting museum when I am in a new place because it gives me insight into the people, their history, their culture and to some degree insight into their current affairs. The NCMM (National Commission of Museums and Monuments) manages over 50 outlets across Nigeria according to their website ( http://ncmm.gov.ng/about-us/ ) . You can find all the museums listed on the website unfortunately not all of them can be found via google maps.  Alongside the national museums the NCMM also cares for 65 recognized monuments and two UNESCO world heritage sites – Osun Osogbo Grove and Sukur Landscape Adamawa On my trip through Nigeria I visited about 14 institutions, some of them are privately owned. M y review of each museum is linked to the listings.  Museums listed in order of personal preference   Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library