Skip to main content

is this seat free?



So, after you think you have seen it all, I checked in and thought I was running late. Couldn't find somewhere to seat at the D34 KLM departure lounge. I walked towards a free-standing space next to a wall to lean on it. When I suddenly heard two ladies, or should I just say two female adults talking rather loudly. whilst I was still trying to get my head around what the conversation was about, I just saw lady number two reach over and slap lady number one hard across the face "yelling am I your mate?!?" A typical Nigerian expression you hear during fights.

Omg it turns out that lady number one was trying to save the seat next to her for an elderly woman who got up to go buy water. An important fact to note about this, is that none of these women are related to the elderly woman. So lady number two ignores lady number ones initial comments which must have made her say something rude which resulted in an early morning cat fight entertainment.

In a normal world where all things were alright it would have just ended with the comment that seat isn't free.  Somewhere between the lines something must have gone wrong and all hell broke loose, pushing, yelling louder, the Nigerian light weight boxing match had been opened at gate D34. Please note that lady number two had her 5-year-old son with her.

As usual when a fight breaks out people try to separate the contending parties. Well I did what I had learnt a long time ago, I took off and stayed clear of trouble.  My mum always advised us to stay as far as possible away from fights whilst growing up. I still do it cos in this case having dreadlocks being en route Amsterdam and getting involved in a fight might not do me any good.

Anyways the crowd plus the oyibo people that were there got involved. The flight attendants managed to finally separate them, but they were still yelling. I couldn't understand for the love of me what had gotten into the ladies. Why would someone do stuff like that whilst waiting to board a flight, an international flight for that matter. We weren't waiting for a molowe or BRT?!?(local bus service in lagos)

Back to the fights different people play different parts in this real-life drama. The peacemakers who try to put an end to the fight, the audience that cheers on for their entertainment and the fight accelerators who keep pouring kerosene into the fire.

So a couple of passengers as required in a Nigerian fight started to yell "get them off the flight “, “don't let them board I don't feel safe". They should be more mannered, whilst all what they were saying was true they didn't need to make the situation any worse. The officials were already at the crime scene as I would like to call it.  The fighting ladies were led out of the boarding area and the remaining passengers started having debates on who was right or what reaction would have been better.

I couldn't help but ask myself under what kind of pressure an individual would have to be to act like that. I mean would they have done the same thing anywhere else in the world. Or was it a scheme made to distract the airport officials from noticing sometime else. I don't know but I guess we will never know. I believe the ladies didn't make their flight. But this is the reality there is definitely a certain kind of madness that sometimes comes with being Nigerian.  I mean I could have chosen to be rude back to the young immigration officer who forgot that even if he was saying the right thing that his job and courtesy actually required him to be polite.

It is rather sad but true ...good bye my homeland till we meet again.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Budget accommodation in Nigeria?

Hostels in Nigeria? Personally, when I travel, I look for trendy hostels, I could stay in. You see Hostels are great for Solo travelers, it’s a perfect place and way to meet other travelers that are like-minded to explore with. They are also more affordable than hotels. At first, I stayed in Dormitories and after a few years I started staying in single rooms in Hostels. In the years I have been coming back to Nigeria I never heard of hostels, so I choose to look for budget hotels.  I budgeted maximum 20 euros per night. My Budget - I choose a 20 euros budget because in Mexico and Brazil I was able to find good hostels with dormitory beds for 9 to 15 euro a night or a single room for 20 to 35 euros a night.  The cheapest I dared to stay in Obudu and Kachia cost 5500 a night - the service level differ greatly. When you book a double room, most find it hard to give you two towels but some property owners understand that it's about HOSPITALITY To identify hotels, I used th

Traveling to Nigeria

If you have made it past all the negative press and terrifying stories you hear about Nigeria and still decide to come over then perhaps there are a few things I can share with you about traveling through Nigeria based on my own experience. Nigeria is not one of the usual tourist destinations in Africa. There are obviously other countries in Africa with more developed tourist industries and longer service history in the sector Safaris which most people associate with the whole of Africa are not available in Nigeria the closest you will come to that is a visit to one of our national parks and forest reserve like Yankari Game Reserve. If you are looking for a place where everything is predefined, where you find all necessary and updated information online including packaged tours – then you are also shopping in a market where this is still under development What then can you expect from a trip to Nigeria? Ibadan,Benin,Enugu,Idanre,Kano,Akwa Ibom The beauty of Niger

Museums in Nigeria

Let’s talk about Museums in Nigeria. Museums in Nigeria are managed by the National Commission of Museums and Monuments. Personally, I like visiting museum when I am in a new place because it gives me insight into the people, their history, their culture and to some degree insight into their current affairs. The NCMM (National Commission of Museums and Monuments) manages over 50 outlets across Nigeria according to their website ( http://ncmm.gov.ng/about-us/ ) . You can find all the museums listed on the website unfortunately not all of them can be found via google maps.  Alongside the national museums the NCMM also cares for 65 recognized monuments and two UNESCO world heritage sites – Osun Osogbo Grove and Sukur Landscape Adamawa On my trip through Nigeria I visited about 14 institutions, some of them are privately owned. M y review of each museum is linked to the listings.  Museums listed in order of personal preference   Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library