Skip to main content

Road Trip - And your husband left you alone?

Sometimes my friends do not understand when I say certain things but there is a norm and a standard back home. A silent non-written agreement about how one's life is meant to go as a woman. So as I embarked on one of my many road trips to cover my first stop Ibadan. Totally excited to visit my 2nd brother and his family. I hadn't seen my nephew since he was born early in the year.

I had the possibility to commute using the following options : get a private driver to drive you down if you have one, take a drop or join a shared vehicle. I wouldn't dare say walk but I wouldn't rule out the possibility that they maybe people forced to do so.

I went for option two since I wasn't adventurous about the shared vehicle. That's how I met Comrad a rather funny but straightforward honest army officer. As we started the journey, joining the Lagos Ibadan expressway, we drove past the motorways center. I recalled driving to that building from monday to friday for over a year many years back. I mentioned to Comrad that I wasn't sure if I would have the nerves to do it again after such a long time. He simply replied "ask your husband to arrange it for you". At this point I thought to myself I am not wearing a wedding ring or am I ?!? Oh but in Nigeria it doesn't matter because the silent norm dictates that a woman my age must already be married and not single!

So i decided to play along and replied yes I will. Then he asked, where is your husband? After a moment of silence I decided the suitable answer was "he doesn't have any holidays , he is working, so he couldn't come back this time". With huge eyes he said 'And your husband left you to travel alone? If you were my wife I wont let that happen. AH?!? there you have it, I could see my freedom disappearing in right before my eyes. I don't regret any decisions I have made till now, the way I have chosen to live my life. Roughly about 30 minutes into our Road trip I now know what Comrad does, how many children he has and from how many women. It was only fair he expected me to reciprocate. So how many children do you have ?

Children?!? hmm as much as I love children and I believe in calling things that be not as though they were, I decided to keep the story less complicated even though I already anticipated what his reply to my answer would be. I still replied "oh we don't have children yet, we are working on it"

He looks at me and says you know time is going and you are a woman. Time is not your side oh, You have to hurry up. I still replied saying that we are working hard at it. Don't worry next year he says and I think if you say so Comrad then I will say Amen to that :-)

So here's a complete stranger lecturing me about my marital status and family planning. And somehow I know I will have the same conversation within the next four days with my mom and numerous relatives that attended my siblings weddings that now feel like they have earned the right to ask . And here I was thinking I was going on a road trip but somehow I got an extra marriage counseling session  for free:-)





Comments

  1. It's an anticipated general concept of life in our country ( to a lesser extent also the world in general) and to be honest I do not know who heightens the anticipation more men or women)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm i think its both... some women worry cos they can't handle what people would say and some men feel the need to just put it out there

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is also part of the follow follow... Spending lot of money for the ceremony and behaving like you are happy during marriage

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Budget accommodation in Nigeria?

Hostels in Nigeria? Personally, when I travel, I look for trendy hostels, I could stay in. You see Hostels are great for Solo travelers, it’s a perfect place and way to meet other travelers that are like-minded to explore with. They are also more affordable than hotels. At first, I stayed in Dormitories and after a few years I started staying in single rooms in Hostels. In the years I have been coming back to Nigeria I never heard of hostels, so I choose to look for budget hotels.  I budgeted maximum 20 euros per night. My Budget - I choose a 20 euros budget because in Mexico and Brazil I was able to find good hostels with dormitory beds for 9 to 15 euro a night or a single room for 20 to 35 euros a night.  The cheapest I dared to stay in Obudu and Kachia cost 5500 a night - the service level differ greatly. When you book a double room, most find it hard to give you two towels but some property owners understand that it's about HOSPITALITY To identify hotels, I used th

Traveling to Nigeria

If you have made it past all the negative press and terrifying stories you hear about Nigeria and still decide to come over then perhaps there are a few things I can share with you about traveling through Nigeria based on my own experience. Nigeria is not one of the usual tourist destinations in Africa. There are obviously other countries in Africa with more developed tourist industries and longer service history in the sector Safaris which most people associate with the whole of Africa are not available in Nigeria the closest you will come to that is a visit to one of our national parks and forest reserve like Yankari Game Reserve. If you are looking for a place where everything is predefined, where you find all necessary and updated information online including packaged tours – then you are also shopping in a market where this is still under development What then can you expect from a trip to Nigeria? Ibadan,Benin,Enugu,Idanre,Kano,Akwa Ibom The beauty of Niger

Museums in Nigeria

Let’s talk about Museums in Nigeria. Museums in Nigeria are managed by the National Commission of Museums and Monuments. Personally, I like visiting museum when I am in a new place because it gives me insight into the people, their history, their culture and to some degree insight into their current affairs. The NCMM (National Commission of Museums and Monuments) manages over 50 outlets across Nigeria according to their website ( http://ncmm.gov.ng/about-us/ ) . You can find all the museums listed on the website unfortunately not all of them can be found via google maps.  Alongside the national museums the NCMM also cares for 65 recognized monuments and two UNESCO world heritage sites – Osun Osogbo Grove and Sukur Landscape Adamawa On my trip through Nigeria I visited about 14 institutions, some of them are privately owned. M y review of each museum is linked to the listings.  Museums listed in order of personal preference   Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library